Monday, 8 April 2013

Making a washable demo banner for NDPAC






A few weeks ago a friend said they needed a banner that with stood all the weathers. With all the cuts happening all over the UK. There is more social up rising, as people begin to realise that the cuts will effect so many things and people. 
This is the national logo for Disabled against the cuts and I have altered it on the computer to make it "Norfolk disabled people against cuts". 
I realised when I was about to put the logo on the banner that the words "People against cuts" are up side down. So I turned them up the other way.



I printed out the words, to go on the banner, after designing on the computer the typeface and the sizing of the words and the colours. My coloured ink cartridge was not working, so I printed it out in black and white and used the computer original to check the colours. 
In the above image I have gone over the print out in pencil lines. To help the drawing up the large image. This did not work for my brain power. So I went for the 1cm by 1cm grid system.



Here I use the pencil grid system and then worked out how many times greater for the banner by multiplying the 13 1cm squares by how ever many to get to the bigger banner size image. 



I have drawn up the banner squares very lightly with a pencil just starting with the left hand corner. Then I pencil in the letters by seeing the shapes on the small print out.  



Then I use a marker pen that is by Dylon and is a washable fabric paint. I pen in over the pencil lines of the letters. I put old cardboard food packaging underneath every part that I am working on. As it will go threw to the table or surface. Dry with hair dryer before lifting. So it doesn't smudge itself. Then dry on the radiator or hang up flat somewhere. Make sure the area does not over lap dying other parts of the banner. 



Then I fill in the outlined lettering with a Dylon paint. Watering is down very slightly to make it paint on easier. Beware of bleeding so paint away from edge and give it time to soak in and spread a bit but not over edge of line.




I use weights to help hold the part I am painting down on the table, to stop it slipping around. This is a ball weight. 



Mixing colours and watering them down a tad in an old plastic tub. 
The tub can be throw away once used as the paint will dry and cant be revived. Unless you put a lid on the tub. Keep the original jars of colours and pens under covered over with lids as much as possible. 



Here I have already marked out the logo with pen and realised it is spelt wrong. There is no going back once the pen is on. So I had to trace on to another piece of fabic and fix and make another logo spelt right.




Here is the new logo and I have sewed up the edges. Sewing the banner to size is a good idea and making the ends big enough for the poles to go in. 




 Every time I have painted a layer. I have Ironed with old sheet underneath and blank paper on top for two minutes per A4 sheet every painted part of the banner. The ironing fixes the colours so the stay in when washed. The words can bleed when painting and will need touching up to make neat with white or what every the back ground colour is. 



Camera on head. Self portrait after another night making the banner. 



Banner in the morning a few hours before it has to be at the Equal lives launch at the forum. 
I have sewn the logo over the old one and cut the old one out from the back. Then I have lined the whole  banner at the back with another sheet. There is still some pencil lines on the banner but hopefully they will come out in the wash.



Here is the flier for the Equal Lives launches across Norfolk. 

Get in touch if you need a banner for your club or group. I can do workshops to make the banner with the group as a group activity. 


2 comments:

Ann Nicholls said...

The banner is fabulous. I have seen it on display. And this guide is great. Thanks so much Eloise.

Ann Nicholls said...

I have seen the banner on display and it's lovely. Thanks also for this guide, Eloise, really helpful.