Wednesday, 21 October 2009
Climate Change and a nice clean planet
Photo by Rewi. This is a banana tree and leaf lantern workshop at the Mata air festival in Java, all made from Natural materials. Thanks to Buyung for helping me cut the banana trees, which are plants that grow back and thanks for the people at Senjoyo waters for donating the banana from there garden and giving me fresh coconut to eat and drink.
While in Java the school children made drawings of tips that would be useful for a cleaner planet, the drawings were all made into a calender, which you can buy from TUK in Salatiga.
I thought as there is a climate change day coming up on the 24th of October I would put a list of tips together.
1. Become a vegetarian its easy just don't eat animals or fish. Animals are treated badly all over the world and cost a lot in water and food.
2. Plant native trees to your area where you live, you can pick up seeds underneath a tree and start them off in a pot of soil and water them till there big enough to plant out.
3. Have a green funeral which is using a willow coffin or a cardboard one. Plant a tree on top of grave.
4. Collect water to water plants from the roof.
5. Sell your car and buy a bicycle and a big basket or bike trailer.
6. Shop from local organic farmer or shop at a vegetable shop that has paper bags or take your own box to the vegetable shop.
7. Take a cloth bag everywhere or a well made bag to do your shopping. Turn down every offer of a plastic bag.
8. Invest your money in green businesses across the world. If you have money set up a green business.
9. Change your electric company in the UK to ecotricty company.
10. Invest in a solar panel or buy one for someone in a third world country.
11. Recycle all your rubbish, clean it before putting it in recycling container. People sort through and use it again, not nice if its covered in fat.
12. Buy a sink strainer and don't put anything down the drain that you wouldn't drink.
13. Compost your vegetable waste by putting in a pile in the garden or invest in a compost bin which the local council pay most of the price.
14. Pick up rubbish outside your house and in the gutter.
15. Cut hedges after the summer.
16. Recycle all electric equipment, ring council to ask them where.
17. Change light bulbs to energy saving ones or LED lights.
18. Buy rechargeable battery's.
19. Buy furniture from charity shops and not kit furniture from IKEA.
20. Give clothes to charity shops or poor friends.
21. Buy clothes made of lasting fabric that is not synthetic. Bamboo fabric is now available on line, which doesn't use pesticides and is sustainable.
22. Buy less toys and use toy library's or teach your kids to make there own toys from waste.
23. Stop uranium mining in our area or any kind of mining.
24. Buy 2nd hand jewelry or reused metal jewelry or sustainable product jewelry.
25. Use washable nappy's, sanitary towels.
26. Use Eco balls, ecological washing powder, dish washing liquid.
27. Use baking powder, lemon juice, white vinegar for cleaning.
28. Buy water based paint. Oil your wood instead of vanishing it.
29. Build hay bail houses instead of brick. Use your local recycled building materials yard.
30. Buy a fridge that has a green sticker on it. Buy a green washing machine too.
31. If you drive a lot put your washing in a seal able bucket and put it in the boot of car. This will wash your clothes.
32. Hang clothes on the washing line or racks indoors to save drying machine energy.
33. If you get chickens get rare breed chickens.
34. Never buy any pets. They are all animals that should be living in the wild.
35. Buy some bird seed and make bird boxes to put outside.
36. Never buy rare birds and cage them they were caught in the wild.
37. Stop your junk mail by using Junkbuster on line and get a sticker for your door.
38. Use 2nd hand school books and cover them with a protection cover.
39. Try not to have children, foster the ones in your local town or adopt a child or pay for a child's education in a country that cant afford a child. Or share your knowledge and do a kids workshop at schools and museums.
40. Don't burn your rubbish, recycle it.
41. Get your government to set up a garbage collect service.
42. Leave shells on the beach and take your rubbish home when on holiday.
43. Give up fishing and take up water colour painting.
44. Give up alcohol, you will save water and have more time at the weekends.
45. Buy vegetables in season if you can.
46. Wash with a flannel and save the shower and bath water.
47. Avoid buying plastic products and buy natural fibers.
48. Change your lawn to something that does not require a lawn mower like chamomile, fairy grass.
49. Get a frog pond so the frogs eat the slugs and snails, get tadpoles only from your local area.
50. Build a natural swimming pool with reed system instead of chlorine water.
51. Clean out your local river and campaign to stop factory's putting chemicals in it.
52. Buy a sailing boat instead of an engine one and learn to sail at a local club.
53. Get a composting toilet if you live in the countryside.
54. Get a donkey instead of a car if you live in the country side.
55. Foster horses instead of buying one.
56. Learn the art of dry stone walling, there are classes in Yorkshire.
57. Reuse your old envelopes.
58. Get all your bills changed to direct debit or on line.
59. Use alternative ways to promote your business like helping local communities, radio.
60. Stop buying the newspaper its a log of lies. Use the library for free newspapers.
61. Get rid of your television and take up a traditional craft, join local craft groups or evening classes in your local college.
62. Avoid chip board wooden products there all trees that have been pulped.
63. Use water to wash bum instead of toilet paper.
64. Support your local artists and craft people.
65. Get local artist to do recycling/reusing workshops in schools.
66. Use recycled paper for your printer.
67. Give people trees they can plant for Christmas or birthday presents.
68. Donate money to charity as a Christmas present.
69. Fix washers in taps at home.
70. Get your kids to cycle to school.
71. Recycle your old keys and metals.
72. Stop buying any chemical products or GM crop products.
73. Don't throw any rubbish in rivers or the sea, look at this artist photos of lovely birds that are all dead. http://www.chrisjordan.com/